Graduate Funding

The Department of Biobehavioral Health has an excellent record of funding students who make regular progress toward their degrees. Offers of admission into the program are only made contingent upon the availability of some form of departmental support for the incoming student.

Many graduate students receive funding through research or teaching assistantships. Several receive funding through the graduate school or external programs. Some others still, are offered research assistantships through their advisors research grant funds.

Teaching and Research Assistantships

The most common form of graduate support, teaching and research assistantships, include a stipend, tuition remission, and a subsidy for medical insurance. Recipients are assigned to a faculty adviser who supervises the experience. Graduate assistants support undergraduate instruction or undertake research projects. A specified time commitment of 10-30 hours per week is required depending on the unit (a half-time/20 hour per week commitment is typical). Appointments are available only to graduate students who are registered for courses and enrolled in degree programs.

Teaching Assistantships in Biobehavioral Health

If the immediate advisor does not have any research funds: Students are offered admission as a teaching assistant for fall and spring semesters, at 1/2 time (20 hour, per week, per semester). If available, and as long as the student remains in good academic standing, the department guarantees this level of support for 5 years (fall and spring semesters). The department does not cover summer support, although there is opportunity for our graduate students to provide instruction for our undergraduate courses in the summer semester.

Research Assistantships in Biobehavioral Health

If the immediate advisor has research funds available for graduate students: Students are offered admission as a research assistant, at 1/2 time (20 hour, per week, per semester). Funding as a research assistant is only guaranteed for the number of years allotted within the research grant. If the research grant ends, the student will be appointed on departmental funds as a teaching assistant, at 1/2 time (20 hours, per week, per semester) for fall and spring semesters. It is also, often the case that if a faculty member has research grant funding available, they will support their students over the summer months. If not, the student has the opportunity to provide instruction for our undergraduate summer courses.


Fellowships are highly prestigious financial support packages that typically include a stipend, tuition remission, and a subsidy for medical insurance. They derive from University or outside awards. Unlike assistantships, they do not have a required work commitment; they are duty-free. Recipients must be enrolled in degree programs and be registered full time. Fellowship recipients are not permitted to accept employment without obtaining approval from the unit and/or agency supporting the fellowship.

University Graduate Fellowships in Biobehavioral Health

If an incoming applicant is nominated AND receives a UGF (University Graduate Fellowship) Award, they do not have any commitment to the department for the first year.


Training grants are derived from agencies outside the University and are intended to support specific student learning experiences in core curricular areas and research methods. Institutional awards, typically under the direction of a faculty principal investigator, afford funding


Scholarships are financial awards that support graduate study. Most are awarded by colleges, graduate programs, or outside funding agencies and are based on academic merit. Some awards factor in financial need or other grantee-specified criteria.


You can find more information about university fellowships and awards programs on the Office of Graduate Fellowships and Awards Administration (OGFAA) website.

Opportunities for work are available on campus in a variety of locations. Visit the Office of Student Aid's Employment page for information or the University's Job Opportunities web site to begin your search.

Educational loans are available through the Office of Student Aid and eligibility criteria apply. For details about student loan options, visit the Office of Student Aid's Loans page.